The city celebrates its 875th anniversary in 2018, as it was first mentioned in 1143. A Benedictine monastery was built in the region 7 years earlier. At the end of the 12th century, the Red Tower was finally built as part of the city fortification, which is now the oldest building in the city.
Chemnitz and the region became famous for its textile production at an early age, because in the 14th century the city received the bleaching privilege. The export of unbleached textiles was thus banned, which offered the manufacturers of the weaving mills the opportunity to expand their operations. At the end of the 19th century, for example, 80% of the women's stockings sold worldwide were produced in Chemnitz.
At the same time, several vehicle manufacturers and steam locomotive builders were located in the region. In addition to companies such as Schüttoff (motorcycle manufacturers), Presto-Werke (car manufacturers) and Union, there were also companies producing machine tools.
In the 19th century, finally, the city reached a tremendous growth thanks to the industrial revolution and the city recorded for the first time 100,000 inhabitants. The growth of the city meant that new areas had to be populated and the largest Wilhelminian style and Jugendstil quarter in Europe was built on the Kassberg hill.
After the rebuilding of the city after the Second World War, the city received a new name:
After the Second World War, the city of Chemnitz was renamed "Karl-Marx-Stadt" in 1953. This was to express the fact that we are no longer saddened by the past, but rather by a future marked by socialism.
Before Saxony joined the Federal Republic of Germany, a referendum in 1990 decided to rename the city "Chemnitz".
Who was Karl Marx again?
Karl Marx was a German social theorist and committed participant and driving force behind the workers' movement. Together with Friedrich Engels, he drew up theories of socialism and communism, which are still widely discussed in social science even today.